It was a very special Easter Day, which was spent, most of it, between writing and talking to members of the family and friends. Besides, according to the culinary traditions of my family at Easter time, last night I enjoyed baking a fragrant almond bread ideal to be served at any coffee pause throughout the day or to bring with as a dessert for a picnic now that Spring has come.
The ingredients of the recipe to make the almond bread are:
- 170 gr cake and pastry flour
- 100 gr sugar
- 75 gr butter
- 3 eggs + a yolk to paint on the surface of the bread
- 250 ml of white wine
- a coffee cup of Alchermes liqueur
- 100 gr peeled almonds
- 50 gr hazelnuts
- the peel of a lemon
- a sprinkle of salt
- 2 cloves
- 8 gr baking powder
- Start with beating one egg and an albumen with 25 gr sugar and the Alchermes. Then, add 50 gr minced almonds and the hazelnuts, a couple of cloves and work all together until you will have a fluid creamy mixture.
- Prepare a second mixture made of flour, one egg and a yolk, a sprinkle of salt, the butter (at this proper, my aunt, who used to enjoy baking this bread and to deliver it to neighbours and members of the family, would have add lard instead of butter), the rest of minced almonds mixed with sugar, the peel of a lemon and the wine. Add the baking powder and work the mixture just a couple of minutes in order to have all ingredients well combined.
- Divide the mixture in two parts (help yourself with a rolling pin and little flour) and make two layers for your greased, floured baking tray.
- Place the first layer in the baking tray. Please, do not forget to make 1 cm border with the first layer all around the baking tray.
- Pour the cream made with the first mixture and then add the second layer on. Seal hermetically, paint some yolk on the surface of the bread, make some decors with a knife.
- Place the almond bread in the oven and bake it slowly and gently for about 50 minutes (160°C).
- Decor your almond bread for the right occasion, serve it with a couple of spoons of vanilla cream or some ice cream or enjoy it with your preferred drink.
A good Easter Monday and safe new week to everybody! Thank you 🙏💖